Thursday, February 10, 2011

Planting trees

When inspiration strikes, run with it. This blog reminds me of a quote I've had in my head for a long time...
    The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.
Sure, the best time to start this blog could have been anywhere up to 5 months ago, when it happened. The second best time is now.

What it is will become abundantly clear soon enough... I will attempt to piece together a very quick action highlights package in order not to unduly bore those of you who are also living in the seismic hotspot currently known as Shakeytown.


But not tonight Josephine, it's late already. Inspiration struck at precisely 11.15pm.
Tomorrow is an important day - we are getting a full damage assessment & cost estimate done by our insurance company's "rebuilding partner". Soon we will know for certain if our house will be demolished so we can finally start planning and getting on with life.

We've been waiting very impatiently for this day and, all through this process, the thing that keeps scaring me the most is this: our house and family are at the front of the bow wave. It's been five months and five days since the earthquake and it's taking a long time for anything to actually happen. I don't think any of us ever thought things would take this long or be quite so complicated. So, as we break a path through the red-tape jungle, allow me to share - our journey, assorted links, hints & tips, and other random thoughts. I mean, God/dess knows I need another writing outlet like I need a hole in the head... but then again, I hadn't exactly planned on building a house this year either.

I can do this. Christchurch, we can do this.

...K

No comments:

Post a Comment